Friday, May 28, 2010

Sharshuka

I recently returned from Israel after doing the birthright. One culinary highlight was the Jerusalem grill which consisted of chicken hearts, livers, gall bladders, intestines etc in a pita. I made it half way through until I ate a particularly large heart and could feel the arteries burst and spurt in my mouth. I was then done. Well, I was at least closer to being done. I love eating shit.

At one point, homeless and in Tel Aviv, a few of us were wondering about looking for a beach to sleep on (when you're in a foreign country, danger does not exist). We found an airport, considered it for a minute and then moshed on. Somehow after a lot of 2am disturbances we found a familiar soldier who allowed us to sleep over. In the morning we woke up and his pretty incredible girlfriend made us shar-shu-kah. Mother of god incredible. She served it with bread and inevitably a vat of hummus. I watched her closely in order to figure out what she was doing. However I still kinda failed in comparison.

Chop up one onion and saute it in olive oil for like three minutes. Then add two chopped red peppers and cook like three more minutes. Then add the chopped tomatoes. I threw in three table spoons of tomato paste and let it cook like five more minutes.

Next you make little hole pockets and drop in the egg. Continue to cook for like ten minutes, but don't break the yolk.


I have to say. Pretty bland. So I went back. I added some adobo and salt, a dash of red pepper flakes and instant delish.


I don't get why her's was so much better. Maybe birth right is wrong; I am not Israeli and there is no ticket in my belly.

1 comment:

  1. sorry i missed it, that toast looks incredible -c

    ReplyDelete