Thursday, April 12, 2012

Beet Curry Pickled Cauliflower

I took a class in pickling. I guess that's obvious.

A + B = C

A= Went to Bard
B= Live in Bushwick
C= Took a pickling class

I guess there's also

A+B= I know how to knit
A+B= I like dinner parties
A+B= I've gone a week without showering

I didn't really understand that much in the class, or maybe I understood everything and it just turns out pickling is silly easy. But I made like six jars during the course. One ended up with mold on it because fermenting is confusing, but the others turned out really good. One thing I should have noted is that pickling takes a while which goes against my natural nature of frantic eating. So I ate four of them within a day. The last I saved to enjoy with my cuz.

They were awesome.

Stuff in mason jar :

Cauliflower
Peeled, not chopped, garlic (like five)
Some shakes of curry powder
Pickling spice
Then pour in the vinegar/water mixture (I do not feel like explaining how to pickle right now, so do a google).

I cut a 1/4 inch thick slick of beet and put it on the top hoping it would color the cauliflower. I got this idea from an ex who would use beets to make water color. He once painted me with a flower arm. I don't know what happened to the painting, but I'm assuming it is lost amongst (NOT A WORD??!!) my bills from ten years ago and the cause for my current rodent problem.

This is what they look like:


This is what they look like next to cheese:


I took a shit load of pictures. THey were awesome. Ideas my cousin and I came up with
- put it in a martini (pretty much my idea for all salty crunchy things)
- marinate steak in the juices
- use less garlic

Other picklings that I ate were======
pickled brussel sprouts. awesome. pickled asparagus. kinda awesome. pickled scallions. not awesome. cucumbers. pickles.

I remember trying to can apple sauce and having to send out a botulism bullitin to my family so a few words of advice:

- sterilize the mason jar by boiling for 15 minutes
- you can just put the top on and keep it in the fridge for a few months and it will be fine, but if you are going to keep it unrefrigerated, or want to keep it for years, seal that shit. Which means water bath. Which means look it up.
- buy mason jars from Fishs Eddie cause they are cheap there. Probably cheaper if you do research and buy in bulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment